Saturday, February 2, 2008

Our House in Koja

We are still trying to set up our internet and so I'm writing from what the Japanese call and "internet/comic book cafe". They charge a lot so I'm not going to write much now. I just want to show pictures of this house we found. Akemi and I are very happy with the location and the house itself. The area is central to most everything and its a very quiet street and low traffic street we live on. We feel very lucky to have found this place for as cheap as we did.

The front of the house

The front door / entrance

Our living room and japanese style dining area. The tatami mats are raised from the floor

View from the genkan entrance. To the far left is the kitchen and bathroom, to the right are the two spare bedrooms.


The view from the living room.


Kitchen area with my new kick ass washer in the background

Large Kitchen Counter area. My office room is in the background.


Our sleeping area. This is our one big bedroom. Japanese typically sleep on tatami mats that are put in the closet during the day. This tatami is also raised from the floor just like in the living room.


The bathroom. Did you notice the urinal? Me too!

Doors to the two spare rooms. To the right is the entrance. Behind me is the living area and bathroom.

The beginnings of my Okinawa Environmental Science Office!


The washroom sink and my high tech washer again.

The shower/bath room


The shower / bath is its whole separate room in Japan. No toilet. So you can go absolutely crazy with spraying water everywhere. Its my absolute favorite thing about this country.

5 comments:

deb said...

Awesome! Looks like a great place. I have washer and shower/bath envy! Thanks for all the photos.

Deb

MySchrödingerBaby said...

We've looked at designs of a combined bath and shower room, they call it a "wet room" here. I think a nice shower is just about the best luxury you can have at home!

Lassila said...

Congratulations on getting settled. It must feel great to finally unpack. The video of the girls doing the soldier boy (?) song was a big hit state-side!

Lara

bobbie said...

Ken-
Thanks for sharing the photos. It is easy to see why you are so excited about your new home. It is really lovely. ENJOY! You never know, perhaps Dick and I will show up like the proverbial bad pennies to see it for ourselves!
bobbie

Leslie said...

Wow your house looks beautiful! There is a natural stage for shows your girls can put on. :) Glad you made it safe and sound, and I'm really excited you started this blog. I hope work is going well, and I will be interested to hear how Akemi's test go for being a preschool teacher. Thanks for keeping in touch, the Soulja Boy video was the cutest. Love, Leslie