Friday, February 15, 2008

Anti-Base Sentiment



So we screwed up again. A 38 year old Marine based at Camp Courtney allegedley attempted to rape a junior high school girl in Kitanaka City last Sunday night. Obviously, this is causing a big stir among the Okinawan people and causing some political strife in this poorest of Japan's prefectures. The Marine (whom I worked with at Camp Fuji a few years ago apparently) is saying that although he did force the girl to stay in his vehicle after she pleaded to get out, all he did was try to kiss her. The girl finally got out of the car and reported to the police.
What is interesting is that there is a lot of controversy right now regarding the relocation of US Marine Corps Air Station Futenma to northern Okinawa (which is much less populated) where they intend to build a large landing strip on top of the coral reef (a very sensitive ecosystem and one of the world's few refuges for the Dugong (looks like a Mantatee). This recent crime by a US Marine will strengthen the hand of those in Okinawa who oppose the relocation, I think, maybe. I don't know.
Everyday in the newspapers discussions about US base issues with the locals make the top spots. I see it on the news everyday. But nothings really changes I guess. Life still goes on as usual here in Okinawa. I'm trying to keep this business of mine surviving and the military are my one and only client. And lots of Okinawan people make a good living from base related work. So economically, its a very difficult and complicated issue for a lot of people. The best jobs on island are on base or relate to working for the base somehow.
But after suffering so much during the Battle of Okinawa during WWII, the Okinawan's have a VERY strong sense of the horrible costs of war. Those who actually remember those days really have some incredibly horrific stories to tell. So despite the economical benefits of the base, for a lot of Okinawans, the very fact of having such a large military presence in their midst is like harboring a great big evil machine. Many are pushing everyday, protesting and pushing to rid Okinawa of the powerful military presence. But this will not happen anytime soon. It will just keep going the way it has since 1945.
If you sit and think about it. I am a small but direct result of the events that led to WWII and to the following US occupation of Okinawa. Without the war, how else in the world would a poor Okinawan farm girl named Yoshiko meet a young GI named Joe Bull? It wouldn't have happened in a million years. Anyways, I'm rambling. The world isn't perfect. Sure we'd all love to sing songs of peace and put down our guns so to speak. But it is what it is and I'm here in Okinawwa with a job to do. But it is fascinating this clash of two cultures here. Both the good, bad and the ugly.

3 comments:

MB said...

A management trainer once told our class that the real problem is not choosing between right and wrong, but choosing between right and right. It's right to want peace and reject militarism, and it's right to prepare to defend against known aggressors. I figure that the bases are on Okinawa because want the American power for defense, but it would be less tenable politically to have them all on the main island. Both sides are based on very basic human emotions and values, so the most awkward place to be is in the middle - like you are . . .

Ken said...

Mike, thats a very interesting point you have. I think I'll put that one in my bag for future discussions with people. I like that.

deb said...

When I first saw your blog I had to google "Uchinanchu", and the first thing I found was Okinawa Peace Network of Los Angeles where I quickly got to reading about issues around the military base(s) in Okinawa.

I get overwhelmed when I think about it.