Thursday, February 21, 2008

Girl, you'll be a woman soon

So Emma turned two years old yesterday. It was actually the first time I ever attended a birthday party for Emma. Last year I was stuck in the middle of the jungle working like a Japanese salary-man slave. As a matter of fact, it was the first time Akemi's family was able to attend a birthday for any of our children. So it was very special. The only thing missing was Kristine and her family. Man I miss you guys more than you know! And Emma and Audrey
do too!
Here's Emma blowing the candles out on her birthday cake!


Also, Audrey and Emma have been recently reunited with their cousin Takuma. I think Takuma was doing fine by himself, but Audrey is sure happy to have him around! Here's a picture of the two of them on the swings at a park in Akemi's neighborhood. The poor guy is going to have childhood emotion scars once my daughters are done with him.

It's great to see the kids together. They really have fun together. I never really had any brothers, sisters, or cousins that were close to my age growing up. I think I probably missed out on something that many people have experienced. I'm glad to see my kids able to grow up with together with their Okinawan relatives. It makes me feel like I made the right decision.

2 comments:

MB said...

Based on my experience growing up with four brothers, close in age, I wanted to have our kids close together. Between being close and our folks moving every 1-4 years I think it created the closeness you see amongst the Bull brothers. Family became more central to life than friends or colleagues. Of course having cousins close by added a lot to our kids' lives.

deb said...

Any environment a person grows up in has its ups and downs. I remember admiring the situations of friends of mine who had siblings considerably older or small families. Not that I don't appreciate the family and environment I grew up in, but well, it's always a mixed bag is all.

That's a great shot of Emma. She's so cute, and she looks JUST LIKE Kristine. I'm sure your kids will share a great bond with each other.