Thursday, April 10, 2008

You Load 16 tons and what do you get?



Another day older and deeper in debt right? Well, I've been doing my fair share of work these days. But the good thing is, I'm really learning a lot everyday. Unfortunately for me, I'm all on my own. No teammates, no mentors... It's funny what that does to your mind. Well anyways that situation may change in a few weeks. A co-worker of mine out of the Tokyo office may come down and assist me with some of this testing work in a few short weeks. That will be somewhat of a relief having someone else around. It's really quite interesting this project. I don't think I'm at liberty to say too much but I will say that its been a strange roller coaster ride. But this project just might pave the way for me into future endeavors here in Okinawa. It seems that at the end of this I should have a pretty unique skill-set for this island. I guess we'll just wait and see how things pan out.
Well Audrey started pre-school about two weeks ago. She seems to like it okay but absolutely hates nap time. Oh what child of mine could hate nap time? She sometimes cries for Mommy during that 90 minutes of hellish boredom. But otherwise, she is making friends and learning Japanese. I'll have to post a photo of the school here maybe tomorrow. It's kinda of a relaxed, kinda WWII era-esk type place where kids run around with dirty feet and runny noses. But the teachers seem friendly and Audrey is playing with all kinds of kids her age.
That and Emma is in absolute heaven when Audrey is not around. She really enjoys having the house (and ALL THOSE TOYS) to herself with no one to answer to. Actually I think Emma has finally found the happiness she has been seeking this whole time... I feel happy for the both of them. You know, I need to take more photos to illustrate these things. I will work on that.
As for now, I'm tired and ready for bed. Here I am turning in at 9 pm at night. Am I becoming an old fart already?

4 comments:

casper said...

Hey Ken

Seems like you found your spot in Okinawa. I'm really glad to read that you have enough work, and that you found a place to live. Moving to another country is always a leap of faith. Seems like you landed pretty well.

Here we haven't hired anybody yet to replace you, which hinders progress on some of my projects. Work has slowed down a little, but looks like it will pick up soon. We're still trying to get work in the wastewater business, but haven't been too successfull. And the bio-ethanol boom seems to be over for a while too. Corn got too expensive. Pacific Ethanol, located in Madera, made a huge loss and has tabled plans for some of their other plants. Well, that's about all there is about Fresno.

I have plane tickets to visit Holland with my whole family, in May. It'll be nice for my dad to finally see his grandkids again, and I'd love to eat some of that dutch food again. Too bad the Euro is so expensive compared to the dollar right now.

I'll check back on your blog from time to time. Talk to you later.

Casper

Ken said...

Hey Casper!!

It's good to hear from you! I'm really happy to see that you've been checking up on my blog from time to time. I would appreicate any red line edits you might have for me... Well, I miss you guys in Fresno. I've been working out here by myself. I could sure use a mentor or teammate.

Anyways, I hope you have fun back home in Holland with your family. Those times are short but precious. My time in Fresno with my family was certainly that.

Take care and lets drop a line here and there and from time to time.

Take care!

Ken

Kristine said...

Hi Ken,

The girls look older....wow its only been a couple of months. It really feels like yesterday! Thanks for the blog - does Audrey understand Japanese now or is she still talking mostly english? Tell the girls and Akemi I said hi ok. How's Akemi's mom doing?? Better.. hopefully. Ok I'll talk with you guys later. Tell Audrey she looks very pretty and her hair has gotten so much longer. She is going to be a great student. I miss her as my assistant! She was the best. Lots of love,Kristine

deb said...

Hi Ken,

Wow. It sounds like you are really busy. It's so great the girls are enjoying (mostly) the changes in their lifestyles. I love to hear about them and all of you.

Deb